Freedom or Death
The Life of Gotsé Delchev
The Journeyman Press
London & West Nyack
Surely it is no small thing to be just a human being.
This book is dedicated to the Hundredth Anniversary of Bulgaria's Liberation from the Ottoman yoke on March 3 1878
1. 'It should be called not Macedonia but Mukidonia.'
2. Macedonia, wonderful land, Never shall she be Greek!
3. 'A mother had a longed-for son, A longed-for son, the choicest of sons.'
4. From the peaks of Pirin Mountain In despair a voice is calling
5. March, O regenerated people, Towards a brighter dawn, march on!
6. We are not seeking riches, We are not seeking gold
7. An egg is tiny, but a large bird comes out of it
8. High art thou soaring, Vitosha, dear one, High art thou soaring to the blue heavens
9. Brother does not feed brother, yet it goes hard with him that has none
10. They threw Doncho into a dark dungeon, They tortured Doncho in a narrow cell
11. What is the softest and warmest thing in the world? The heart
12. I am your brother, but I am also your enemy
13. Here, to high heaven rise shrieks so despairing
14. See, Stoyané, dusk has fallen, I will go and light the oil-lamps
15. Even brothers quarrel, but still they remain brothers
16. Is a cloud thundering, is the earth echoing, Is it the falcon that screams - heroes' bird?
17. Two sharp stones grind no flour
18. Lo, a black cloud came, appearing From the peak of Pirin Mountain
19. To live means to struggle - the slave for freedom, and the freeman for perfection
20. I do not want my country divided, Nor seven knives to leave it bloodied
21. Fire and gunpowder should be kept apart
22. Delchev voivoda has no mother - His mother is the Macedonian land
23. Stricken he lies there – Milé Popyordanov
24. Lo, a dark cloud came appearing From the land of Macedonia
25. O little bird, O nightingale, Sing me, oh, sing me a little song
Bibliography: Works quoted in the text or directly related to it — Background Works
[Back to Main Page]